Top Menu

What to Submit With Your Utah CCW Application

I’ve noticed recently that there are a lot of new instructors in Utah teaching concealed carry classes at a lower than average cost. After a little research I came to find out that most of these instructors are not including everything that is necessary in order to apply for the permit. The purpose of today’s post is to quickly overview everything that you need to get from your instructor (should you not be taking the class from us). All of our classes include all the necessary paperwork and inclusions.

First, you need a set of your fingerprints on the proper FBI fingerprint card. The blank cards can be obtained, free of cost, from the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) (address below). Fingerprints can be taken digitally or with traditional ink. There are various types of ink and fingerprinting tools that instructors use. In the past BCI offered a fingerprinting certification program for instructors but that has since been discontinued. At this point in time, no certification is required for instructors to take your fingerprints. As long at the prints are well taken it will work out. IF, you do not obtain a set of fingerprints at your class you can have them taken at the BCI office when you turn in your application but there will be a $13 charge.

Next, to include in your concealed carry application, you must include a 2″ by 2″ passport quality photograph. In my experience, “passport quality” generally means that the picture is on a white background, relatively up close so as to make the person easily discernible, and free of any hats or other objects that would obscure your appearance. Most instructors take these pictures with a camera and crop them on a computer and print them off on photo paper. This should suffice. If you do not obtain a picture in the class you can pay to have pictures taken at Walmart or any professional photography store where they offer passport photos. BCI will also take the picture at their office when you apply for $13.

You must include a photocopy of your government issued photo ID in your Utah Concealed Carry application. This generally is a drivers license, state ID card, or passport. This is simple enough since it only requires a low cost copy machine.

Lastly, you must include the most current version of the Utah Concealed Carry Application form (downloadable from the BCI site) filled out properly and including the signature and official stamp of the instructor who taught you the class.

Don’t forget to include payment if you are mailing in your application. There is a space at the bottom of the application to indicate how you will be paying. If using a credit card you can include the credit card information at the bottom of the application.

The above items are required in every circumstance. In the case that you not be a natural born citizen of the United States, you will also need to submit naturalization documents (photocopies suffice). If you are not a resident of Utah and you reside in a state that has reciprocity with Utah, you will also need to submit a copy of your valid concealed weapon permit from that state.

With any questions or concerns about what to include you should contact BCI. Their phone number and address are included below. This address is also where you would mail your application packet for processing.

Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84129
Telephone: 801-965-4445

, , , , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply